NHS Workshop Dates: Book Here
free for NHS Borders & NHS Lothian staff
St Columba’s Education Centre: EH5 3RW
This training workshop is for all those who would like to increase their understanding of emotional health and its impact on wellbeing, both mental and physical, e.g. GPs, practice nurses, other primary care clinicians, community and liaison psychiatric staff, physiotherapists, OTs.
It covers emotional distress and treatment through a mind-body approach and explains the use of the evidence based programme Positive Mental Training in recovery and emotional resilience. This programme, available in the NHS Digital approved, Feeling Good:positive mindset app, can be introduced to a patient in a normal primary care consultation.
Workshop attendees describe an increase in their knowledge and skills in treating emotional distress. Participants will be given free download codes for the Feeling Good App for their patients. This workshop covers the basic information necessary for using the app and workshop 2 (date tbc) gives more time for discussion and reflection on your practice. Both sessions show patient experiences and professional approaches. (here for learning outcomes) CPD accredited.
- Supported by NHS Lothian & NHS Borders – it is Free to Lothian & Borders CHP staff & South East Scotland GPRs; Please email us to reserve your place.
- Otherwise : suggested £75/participant/session charity donation (£50 GPRs)
Positive Mental Training is a self managed, evidence based, treatment for depression, anxiety and burnout, for your patients, often used by GPs and psychiatrists themselves to increase their own wellbeing & resilience and reduce their stress. Using sports psychology, it is an audio modular programme incorporating mindful relaxation with positive reappraisal and positive future visualisation. Workshops include new fascinating findings on neurophysiology.
- Gain new insights into the neuroscience of mind body links
- Integrate this into your clinical practice and personal development
- Recognise the importance of the GP/therapist role in the treatment of emotional distress
- Assess & explain PosMT to your patients as part of a normal consultation
- Use brief techniques to demonstrate effects
‘We’ve had patients that have been on anti-depressants for years, have tried different anti-depressants, and this has actually made a difference, which we were very surprised about….’ Dr Chris Woodforde, GP, Halton
Anonymous evaluation comments from GP workshop:
- ‘simple to understand and take on board’
- ‘very high quality training’
- ‘exceeded (my learning objectives and expectations) – nice to see ‘scientific’ background to this technique’
- ‘a completely novel and instant way of resolving a variety of stress related issues without drugs’,
- ‘excellent enjoyable mix of theory and practice’
Positive Mental Training: Recovery from Distress Workshop Details
Session 1 An afternoon training workshop for GPs, health professionals and staff working in occupational medicine. Provides a full overview of the Positive Mental Training programme, including evidence base, history, and its application in primary care and occupational health. By the end of the session participants will understand the theory, history and evidence base behind the programme and be fully confident in offering it as a treatment option.
Session 2 a follow up session which provides the opportunity to consolidate learning and experiences and share outcomes with colleagues.
This course is also available as a webinar – see our webinar page
RESERVATION & CANCELLATION POLICY Payment must be received before the conference date.Cancellations must be received in writing at least two weeks prior to the course date to be entitled to a refund, which will be subject to a £20 administration fee . We regret that cancellations received after this date cannot be refunded, and refunds cannot be made for failure to attend the event. However, a substitute can be made. Participants must be qualified health professionals and we reserve the right to refuse admission.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION Please e-mail us